Monday, November 8, 2010

Lucky 7

This week my son, Dylan turned seven.

Seven. Could somebody pinch me. Could somebody please call the obnoxious, I am god like, do not dispute my prognosis doctor who told me my son would not live to be two. Seriously pinch me, slap me, kick me, I don't care because this week I felt like I was living in a miracle to see my son turn seven. Imagine what it is like to feel that your child's seventh birthday is a miracle. For some of you reading this blog the idea of a child turning seven is a given, something that is supposed to happen. Unfortunately, for the SMA parents or families reading this blog, turning seven is no easy feat. We celebrate birthdays in months, not years because sometimes months is all we have. Seven years of feeling every emotion known to man. Seven years of living life completely on the edge, of seeing things happen to your child that you never in your wildest dreams imagined you would have to witness. Seven years of fighting doctors, insurance companies, school districts and anyone else who would come in the way of having your child treated not like a person who is supposed to be dead, but one who wants to live and wants all that life has to offer. Seven years of meeting people who want to help you instead of just dismiss you. Seven years of people bending over backwards to help include your child and sacrificing things in their lives to help you.

Seven years of finding out who you can count on and who you can't.
Seven years of taking chances on things we didn't know would work but prayed would.
Seven glorious years that have opened my eyes to how life truly should be lived.
Seven years of joy, laughter, tears, heartache, pride, inspiration, determination and most important love.

Dylan, all I ever wanted to be in life was to be a mom. I am lucky to have been blessed by being yours. Even with all of the hard times we have been through all I needed to do was look into your sparkling blue eyes and I knew you would be ok. You amaze me everyday with your unending strength and love of life. You have inspired me to become a better person. As I always tell everyone, everyday I have with you is a day I was told I would not. I will never stop helping you to follow your dreams and to live life to the fullest. You have conquered more in seven years than most will in a lifetime. Happy 7th Birthday.

I love you forever and a day....Mama.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said. God Bless Dylan on his 7th birthday and everyday! You are all an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete